We’re extremely proud to have received nine accolades for our products in this year’s prestigious Great Taste Awards.
The annual awards, organised by the Guild of Fine Food, are often described as the food and drink sectors’ equivalent of the Oscars. The Great Taste logo, which can be used in marketing by award winners, is a widely-accepted symbol of high-quality which is trusted by consumers.
Alongside ourselves in the list of 2018 Great Taste Awards winners are many leading food and drink producers, including Booths, Tesco Ireland, Fentimans, and Aldi.
Our permanent focus is on supplying high-quality cuts of meat, produced with high standards of animal welfare and traceability. The Island’s UNESCO Biosphere status plays an important role in emphasising the quality of the environment in which livestock is reared, and all of the nine products which won Great Taste Awards are ‘UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company’ products.
Here’s the full list of our products which won 2018 Great Taste Awards, including the star ratings for each one (the Great Taste Awards have one, two and three star ratings – the three star rating being the highest):
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Fore Rib, Boned and Rolled (2 star)
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Rib Eye Steaks (2 star)
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Silverside (2 star)
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Lamb Shoulder (2 star)
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Pork Belly (2 star)
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Sirloin (1 star)
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Fillet Steak (1 star)
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Short Leg of Lamb (1 star)
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Pork Shoulder (1 star)
Here are some of the Great Taste judges’ comments:
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Lamb Shoulder: “A large impressive looking leg of lamb with plenty of crisp fat that cuts like butter. The fat is crisp and melting, the meat tender with a rounded meaty flavour full of meadow sweetness. A great looking cut with fabulous tender meat and stunning fat and skin. Can't stop picking.”
• UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man Meat Company Silverside: “Quite a spectacular joint, what a centrepiece. Moist and tender to eat yet with a bit of bite. This pale, lean joint, would enjoy a little more fat as what there is, is packed with flavour – but, regardless, this is a lovely piece of meat.”
The 2018 Great Taste Awards are the latest endorsement of the quality of our products. In 2017 six products won Great Taste Awards (three two star, and three one star). In June this year Manx lamb – supplied by Isle of Man Meats – was on the menu at a party hosted by the UK’s Ambassador to Switzerland to celebrate the Queen’s birthday.
Alan Croly, our Customer and Communication Manager at Isle of Man Meats, said: “This is great news for Isle of Man Meats, and the consumers who love our products. We recently began a new marketing strategy, starting with a consumer survey to improve marketing and the availability of premium quality Manx meat from local retailers. Great Taste is a marque of high-quality and winning nine awards will undoubtedly help us as our marketing strategy gathers pace in the coming months.”